Brake Repair Of a Deck Crane

Brake Repair Of a Deck Crane

Brake repair of a deck crane

Nowadays I revise my old article and I remember my experiences on board commercial or offshore vessels as hydraulic troubleshooter.

I attended as troubleshooter to a vessel in Singapore anchorage.  My scope of job was unclear. In the office I got the paper with the things I’d to do. It was service on deck cranes. Pretty easy you would say and it looks.

Service is to general I sad and from my previous experiences I knew something was wrong. Until then I was getting jobs with clear content and job scope like, cranes inspection, load test of the crane or change or remove something or troubleshooting of some parts of the equipment.

I arrived in Singapore early morning and after few hours of sleep I went on board of the vessel.deck crane

Everything was running smoothly, the weather was nice the people I met were ok. I said the job seems to be ok.

On board I found out exactly the job I’d to do. The scope of job had expanded significantly. Brake repair of one of the deck crane was one of the job I did’t know. And I was alone there with no hydraulic technician and so on. They said no problem we have the crew and we can manage easy. Again from my experiences so far I won’t ever rely on vessel crew.  The vessel crews are not trained for hydraulics troubleshooting they are not specialist in hydraulics or in particular equipment.

A tough job was to repair brake of hoisting winch of one of the deck cranes. The type of hosting brake was MDA 21 a multi disc brake.
I disassembled the hydraulic brake for hoisting winch. Removed the brake cover and the pre-loaded cup springs found oily and dirty. Removed the brake piston and piston seal and guide string found worn out. I removed the brake discs and checked one by one. Re-fitted the multi discs brake and renewed the piston seal and guide string of the brake piston. Greased the cup springs and re-fitted.
It was tough but with help of 2 person from crew I managed. On board was a good fitter, strong and handy guy which help me a lot

For the next crane again we face some problems.  I had to replace the luffing pump. The fittings for the new luffing pump were inappropriate. I learnt also, every time when order new pump it must be ordered also fittings for the pump in question. I received the fittings in other port and I was able to finish the job.

The job continued with the load test of the cranes in load testpresence of the DMV surveyor. The load test went good.

Next day I got a call from the superintendent, and he gave me another job.With my office approval I started the new job. I had to check the twin synchronization system for crane 2A and 2B. I found mess in electrical wiring.

Due to cargo operations, there was no sufficient time for twin troubleshooting. All electrical modifications will need to be checked and returned to normal configuration.

Have a comment about this topic! Share it here!

This was the last job I had to do. In the end I was doing a good job and everybody was happy including myself.

 

Leave a Reply