Maintenance procedures a follow up system to avoid breakdowns of hydraulic equipment.
Other causes of hydraulic system breakdowns are:
• Clogged and dirty oil filters. Dirt interferes with transmission of energy by plugging small orifices in hydraulic components such as pressure valves and flow control valve.
• Incorrect type of oil. The main purpose of the hydraulic oil is to transmit energy. The second one is to act as a lubricant. I will focus on second one and without good lubrication friction between the surfaces will causes system components to wear out and undesirable heat would be generated.
The three maintenance procedures that have the effect on system life, performance and efficiency are:
1. Maintaining an adequate quantity of clean and proper hydraulic fluid with the correct viscosity
2. Periodic cleaning and changing of all filters and strainers
3. Keeping air out of the system by ensuring tight connections.
Lot of problems encountered in hydraulic system because of the hydraulic fluid. That is why a frequent sampling and testing procedure of the fluid has become a necessity.
All the time when I was on board, I carried sample bottle and it was a must to collect oil sample for analysis.
Records should be kept of past failures and the action initiated along with data containing details such as oil tests, oil changes, filter replacements, etc.
• Check the hydraulic system for leakage. Tighten the screws, replace faulty seals and keep the drive clean.
• Clean oil and inspect magnetic filters. Replace the required clogged filter cartridges, inspect the tank and clean if necessary.
• Check the pressure and temperature of the hydraulic fluid.
• During inspection pay attention to dirt or other contamination that can affect the hydraulic system.
• To be kept a running log or chart and planned inspection to be carried out at set intervals.